Saturday, April 20, 2013

I made a tool kit.

This post begins with a story.

My family (minus my husband), my dad is the old guy on the left. 
Many months ago, my father called me up to ask me if I could sew him a tool kit for his airplane tools. You see, my father is a private pilot (meaning he just flies for fun, not money) and he had a set of tools in the plane that were jingling and not organized. We can't have jingling tools can we? Side note: if you have ever been in the non-pressurized cabin of a small plane (my father flies a 1950's era Cessna 1982) you know it is so noisy, the LAST thing you will notice is anything jingling.



We talked about the tools and his needs (keep it light, easily accessible, small). Then a few weeks later the tools arrived. I am not sure I remember him telling me I was actually going to have the tools to fit, but okay.

This project was hard for me! For some reason I totally lost my creative juices when I was trying to develop the precise wrench pockets. I wonder why? I had an easy enough time with the outside design...



There is really no pattern for this, I sort of based the design off the knitting needle rolls. But I fit each pocket to the tool as I sewed it.

I also did everything in the wrong order, the flaps, the velcro, even the strap. I made it work, but if the walls of my sewing room could repeat the words I used... There is more hand sewing here than I am comfortable admitting or than was strictly necessary.



I stamped the numbers for the wrenches, because I thought it would be confusing not to label them.

This was supposed to be a Christmas present. I think he got it in February, but he LOVED it. I just love giving presents to people who really appreciate the work. It is small and light and gets cinched in even smaller. No jingling at all!



Now, true to form, I am blogging about this several months after it was gifted. Let me know if you have any questions about the construction or fabrics, honestly, I made this up as I went along so I will do my best to remember.

xoxo friends!


4 comments:

  1. What a great gift! I love that it is so suited to its proud owner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool. It looks great. What a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful use of your creative talents and something that your Dad will treasure. He will think of you every time he sees it sitting in his plane. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, that is awesome! Making all those little pockets and flaps is no easy task. I'm totally impressed. I have a friend who wants me to make her daughter a carrying case for her archery bow. And I said Yes. Duh, totally uninspired. But now I see I can make something cool out of something that needs to be utilitarian! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you so much for sending me a message. I try to respond to every single comment I get, but sometimes it takes me a bit when life gets crazy. I see them right away and I love you all.