Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Life is Full of Twists and Turns [WIP]

I like these little Wednesday posts. It gives me a chance to assess where I am in my projects and my bees.

This week, I am on the road for work in northeastern North Carolina. It is hard to be away from my sewing machine when I travel for work. I am sad I do not have much to show you all. Sometimes, when I am gone for longer trips, I bring my sewing stuff. This trip is only 5 days. Sigh...

I also really have to work in the evenings. Double sigh...

I get to work here though. Worth it?



I am doing some hotel room hand stitching to get my Stars Align quilt binding done. Pictures will be here next week, I promise. If you follow me on instagram you have already been photo bombed with pictures of this quilt (follow me at stitchingandbacon). It is awesome cuddle under this little quilt in my hotel room.


Mostly, I have been grappling with some non-sewing news.



This blog is called Stitching and Bacon. I chose this name because I feel that bacon is a metaphor for treating yourself. Also, I like bacon. My husband and I cure our own bacon. I live in North Carolina, this is a pork state!



A week ago from Thursday, I found out I was allergic to bacon. Well, not just bacon. Technically, I am allergic to all mammalian protein. If you want to get really technical, I am allergic to a sugar found on the protein. This is a rare (not rare enough!) tick born allergy most commonly seen in the American south. I will not bore you with the details, but basically reactions to mammal meat range from indigestion to anaphylaxis. I barely notice anything, but my doctor is worried that if I get a tick bite again it could quickly get much worse. I am an archaeologist and ticks are everywhere.



This sounds like a made up allergy. It is not (see here and here for some stuff describing this allergy), I wish it were. No more bacon. At least until my next appointment.

I know. This is not that big of a deal in the scheme of things.

I did not think I ate that much meat until I could not have any...



In Pilates class on Sunday, I was telling my instructor about this freakish allergy and she said, "people still eat red meat?" with an honest question in her voice. Well, not me. Not anymore.

Now back to watching hotel room television.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced



9 comments:

  1. That is truly a terrible allergy! For the past 6 years I've had a few slices of bacon every morning for breakfast. My sympathies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mas bacon? That's so sad. I will change my research focus and make it my life's work to find a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to look at the bright side. Pigs eat their own crap and then you eat the pig. It's disgusting, really. There. Feel better?
    Hmm...maybe double up on expressing your feelings then. SAy what you feel, don't sugar-coat it. STart here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cauchycomplete/5550208667/

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! That's hard. I feel for you - any adjustment or change to a diet we like/are used to is difficult. Hopefully stitching up your beautiful quilt's (I see orange - my fave!) binding helps to keep you thinking about happier things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I've heard of someone having this allergy before. So crazy that your body could react in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's insane Sarah! I hope you can eat bacon eventually at the same rate as now... in the mean time don't work too hard and get some quality quilt snuggles in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry about the allergy news. Diet changes are very difficult and it is a hard journey. I guess bacon will be a metaphor for celery now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh no, that's so hard. I hope you'll be able to eat some red meat. We eat a lot more than we should and I can't imagine having to cut it out. Your yoga instructors reaction cracked me up. Only a yoga instructor would react that way. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn and double darn, tough news. What a change, it is one thing to make the change because you want to...a your yoga instructor... vs being told you have too! But thanks for sharing I have a friend that will go into anaphylaxis from bacon and from ribs... maybe its from the same thing as you, he was the only person I had ever heard had this before.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you so much for sending me a message. I try to respond to every single comment I get, but sometimes it takes me a bit when life gets crazy. I see them right away and I love you all.