Sunday, February 16, 2014

Orange. February.

Do you ever have one of those days/weeks/months/years where you completely overcommit yourself?



Then you freak out, run around, write lists, neglect your husband, forget to call your mom, leave your teeth unbrushed, and eat lots of chocolate?

Yes? No? Maybe? Sometimes? Yesterday?

I think I left my head in December. Perhaps my sanity was left in Tennessee when I went there in January?



When I get super crazy I need to appreciate the little things. The small victories if you will.

Today we are cerebrating the fact that I finished my Riley Blake Challenge project on time. I mean seriously, we could say it is early because it is not due until TOMORROW!

I had the idea for this quilt when I was listening to this TED talk by Chip Kidd (graphic designer). In the talk, Kidd talked about how when you are designing something you need to show but not tell or tell but not show. You shouldn't do both. Then he sort of offhandedly brought up that it might be interesting to show and tell different things.



I have been thinking about this idea for months. I knew I needed to make it into a quilt.

When I got my Riley Blake Challenge fabrics at the Triangle Modern Quilt Guild meeting I fell in love with the orange fabric. I knew I needed to show orange and the opposite of orange is blue. The paper cranes are just pretty. I did not use all of the fabrics, I knew I had to trust my gut and follow  my inspiration.... It is not that I did not love the fabrics sent to us from Riley Blake. It is just that sometimes it is about what is not included. Less can occasionally be more.

The pattern for the cranes is here from Kitten's Mittens and I got the text pattern here from Quiet Play.

Then I decided to use all of my thread to quilt this one with super close together organic lines. It took an entire day. I totally had time for that. I also totally had time to make this wall hanging. I totally do not have a wall available to hang this on. Strong work.

Now back to the list. Maybe someday I will even blog about something else besides a finish, I miss this blog.

I love you all. I miss you.

Quilt Stats:
Name: Orange
Size: 40 x 40"
Fabrics: Assorted Kona solids and Riley Blake basics, background is Kona Snow
Quilting: Organic matchstick lines with Aurifil white thread
Finished: February 2014

13 comments:

  1. Among all the myriad (s?) of quilts we see and admire and want and want to make, what emerges is what we in fact make. This seems a really good fit. I love it and what I think I understand of the idea that goes with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous. Seriously so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a winner with this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the orange!! The idea is truly represented in your quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an awesome quilt. I hope you find a spot for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing. The idea behind this wall hanging is very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that TED talk. I think about it when I put together my lectures. You go ahead and blue yourself. It looks so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you're overextended but it does not show in this piece. I'm in love with it. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So interesting...and challenging. Curious about how this went together. Quite beautiful and definitely "less is more" is apropos here. I think I'm one of your "over-extended" contributors...sorry but not totally! We needed your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love it! This is great

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you so much for sending me a message. I try to respond to every single comment I get, but sometimes it takes me a bit when life gets crazy. I see them right away and I love you all.